Friday, April 10, 2015

This post serves as a wake up call for anybody who is still drinking store-bought almond milk.

Rise and shine! You can make your own in only two steps! Woahhh!

I made my own almond milk for the first time last week. It's long overdue that I share with you my excitement.

The idea of making something as complex sounding as almond milk, by doing virtually nothing, is pretty cool. Your friends will be impressed. Your family will be impressed. Your dog will be impressed. You don't need to tell anybody that it's actually extremely easy to make - feel free to bask in the glory of homemade almond milk.

I also made my own almond flour for the first time last week! Almond flour is just an added bonus of making almond milk. I put the almond milk and flour instructions together below because they come as a pair.

Almond Milk (and flour):

Ingredients:

~ Almonds - 1 cup

~ Water - 3 cups

~ Thin cotton fabric or cheese cloth


Instructions:

1. Blend almonds and water together in your food processor until completely combined.


2. Secure a cheese cloth (or a thin cotton cloth) around a container that the milk will go into with a rubber band. I used a big mason jar as my container. This recipe makes about 2 cups of almond milk, so keep that in mind.

3. Pour the almond milk onto the cheese cloth. The milk will drain through into the container and you will be left with some ugly looking debris on top of the cloth.


4. Take the four corners of the cloth together in your hand and ring out the extra milk. Save the ugly debris for flour!

You now have yourself some delicious homemade almond milk! There are no chemicals or additives in this tasty concoction so separation is natural. Shake well before drinking.

I would recommend drinking the milk within 4 days of making.


4. Preheat your oven to your lowest setting.

5. Spread the ugly debris on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 2-3 hours.


6. Store in a sealed container.

You now have yourself some almond flour! Woahhh!


I love this recipe because I get two great items for the price of one cup of almonds. That's a deal I'd take any day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

//

//

Popular Posts

'Holding On To Anger Is Like Drinking Poison And Expecting The Other Person To Die.' ~Buddha

'No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.' ~Buddha